Youth Mental Health First Aid courses
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England has allowed nasen to deliver Youth Mental Health First Aider training (two-day) and Youth Mental Health First Aid Champion training (one-day). The MHFA instructor training programme is accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health.
Key facts about mental health in young people:
- One in eight (12.8%) of 5 – 19 year olds had at least one mental disorder when assessed in 2017 (NHS Digital, 2017)
- Half of mental ill health starts by age 15 and 75% develops by age 18 (Department of Health, 2009)
- One in four 11 to 16 year olds with a mental disorder have self-harmed or attempted suicide (NHS Digital, 2017)
nasen believes that one of the best ways to support children and young people in terms of positive mental health and wellbeing is to educate staff.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training is for anyone who works with, lives with or supports young people aged 8-18. This training helps the adults in a young person's life to have the skills and confidence to step in, offer first aid and guide them towards the support they need.
Youth Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses
Two Day Training
Youth Mental Health First Aiders have:
- An in-depth understanding of young people's mental health and factors that affect wellbeing;
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues;
- Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress;
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such non-judgemental listening;
- Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support;
- Ability to support a young person with a long-term mental health issue or disability to thrive;
- Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
Dates currently available:
Manchester 10th and 11th October 2019
Hertfordshire, Hoddesdon 15th and 16th October 2019
LABS Hogarth House, London 22nd and 23rd October 2019
Poplar, London E14 5th and 6th November
Wigan, 19th and 20th November
LABS Hogarth House, London 3rd and 4th December 2019
One Day Training
Youth Mental Health First Aid Champions have:
- An understanding of common mental health issues and how they affect young people;
- Ability to recognise signs of mental ill health in young people and guide them to a place of support;
- Knowledge and confidence to advocate for mental health awareness;
- Skills to support positive wellbeing.
Dates currently available:
Colchester, Essex 4th October 2019
Harlow, Essex 12th November 2019
Mental Health First Aid is the mental health equivalent of physical first aid.
MHFA England is the national Licensed organisation for MHFA training.
Please be aware that this training is subject to a sufficient minimum number of delegates, and may be cancelled if the minimum isn't reached. Should we have to cancel the event, the cost of the training will be refunded.
If you are interested in hosting the training for your school or groups of schools, please get in touch by phone on 01827 311500 or by email at email@example.com