The national funding formula for schools and high needs: a summary
The policy document setting out the government's new national funding formula for schools and high needs has been released. We provide a summary here.
- the minimum per pupil funding in secondary schools will be £4,800 by 2020
- the minimum per pupil funding in primary schools will be £3,500 by 2020
- every school will see an increase in its budget
- LAs will set local formulae for individual school in 2018-2019 and 2019-2020
- the schools block will be ring-fenced but up to 0.5% can be transferred, for example, to the high needs block
- a fourth block is to be created in the Dedicated Schools Grant: the 'central schools services' block
- every school is to receive a lump sum of £110,000
- no school will lose funding because of the new formula
Additional and high needs:
- every LA will have more than its current planned spending, in proportion to population changes
- the amount to be spent on additional needs by LAs is to be protected
- an increased proportion of additional needs spending is to be allocated on the basis of low prior attainment
- the funding floor will be raised by 0.5% in 2018-2019 and by 1.0% in 2019-2020
- no LA will go below the 2017-2018 funding floor even if they have falling numbers
- guidance will be released later this month regarding the distribution of HN funding to schools and colleges
05 Mar 2018 Gold AND Silver Member Only
Read about how one nursery uses effective inclusive practice to meet the needs of all their children, including those with SEND.
Information - 23 Feb 2018
A guide for leadership, staff, governors, link person for medical needs, clinicians and other agencies.