nasen launches project to support professional development in SEND for the Early Years sector
nasen is delighted to announce that we have secured funding from the DfE to create and disseminate a package of free training resources specifically aimed at the whole of the Early Years sector. Read on to find out what the materials are, and how and when you will be able to access them.
The project has some ambitious aims:
- to improve the confidence of Early Years professionals to identify and support children with SEND
- to indirectly improve outcomes for more than 50,000 children in Early Years settings across the country
- to help to increase access to Early Years provision for children with SEND
nasen will be working closely with our partners in this project, Nursery World and Childcare.co.uk, who will help us to ensure that the materials meet the needs of the sector, and to disseminate the package as widely as possible.
Talking more about the bid, Dr Adam Boddison, nasen's Chief Executive, said: “Here at nasen, we are committed to providing the most effective support for SEND.
Over the last 25 years, our knowledge and expertise has enabled us to support thousands of SEND professionals from a range of sectors, and thanks to this extra funding, we are delighted that we can now put even more resource into ensuring that the needs of children aged 0-5 years are met."
The training package will consist of four elements, which will all be housed on a new 'Early Years' section of the nasen website:
- the Early Years element of our successful Focus On SEND online learning course
- a series of brand-new webcasts, of about 5 minutes each, which EY professionals will be able to 'dip into' as they need to, covering a wide range of topics relating to SEND
- 4 brand-new miniguides, each aimed at a different part of the EY sector, addressing a range of issues and offering signposting to relevant further information. There will also be paper versions of the miniguides available so that settings can have them available for staff, parents and visitors
- a brand-new online training package, consisting of all the materials to enable EY leaders, SENCOs etc to deliver 5 one-hour, face-to-face sessions for their staff. These will be presented so that the sessions could be run as a whole day, half days, or a series of twilights.
The materials, beginning with the first set of webcasts, will begin to appear on the nasen website from the end of June, with the complete package being available by the end of this year. So keep a look out for developments, both here, in Nursery World magazine and at their shows, and on social media.
If you have any queries about any aspect of this project, please contact Alex Grady, the project lead.
Other - 30 Nov 2017 Silver AND Gold Member Only
Presented by Michael Surr, Education Development Officer, this webinar explores what we mean by 'universal classroom provision' and how this can be as effective as possible for children and young people with SEND and ALN.
Other - 23 Oct 2017 Silver AND Gold Member Only
Presented by Alex Grady, Education Development Officer, this webinar, the third in a series, explores what the effective evaluation of interventions looks like, and how you should approach the evaluation of the interventions that you use.
Tips - 17 Oct 2017 Silver AND Gold Member Only
Pupil passports are an important tool within wider person-centred working and lots of schools and settings use them. Have a look at these suggestions for how you can ensure that you are using them effectively, or to help you to start using them, so that they can contribute to improved outcomes for children and young people with SEND.