nasen launches project to support professional development in SEND for the Early Years sector
nasen is delighted to announce that we have secured funding from the DfE to create and disseminate a package of free training resources specifically aimed at the whole of the Early Years sector. Read on to find out what the materials are, and how and when you will be able to access them.
The project has some ambitious aims:
- to improve the confidence of Early Years professionals to identify and support children with SEND
- to indirectly improve outcomes for more than 50,000 children in Early Years settings across the country
- to help to increase access to Early Years provision for children with SEND
nasen will be working closely with our partners in this project, Nursery World and Childcare.co.uk, who will help us to ensure that the materials meet the needs of the sector, and to disseminate the package as widely as possible.
Talking more about the bid, Dr Adam Boddison, nasen's Chief Executive, said: “Here at nasen, we are committed to providing the most effective support for SEND.
Over the last 25 years, our knowledge and expertise has enabled us to support thousands of SEND professionals from a range of sectors, and thanks to this extra funding, we are delighted that we can now put even more resource into ensuring that the needs of children aged 0-5 years are met."
The training package will consist of four elements, which will all be housed on a new 'Early Years' section of the nasen website:
- the Early Years element of our successful Focus On SEND online learning course
- a series of brand-new webcasts, of about 5 minutes each, which EY professionals will be able to 'dip into' as they need to, covering a wide range of topics relating to SEND
- 4 brand-new miniguides, each aimed at a different part of the EY sector, addressing a range of issues and offering signposting to relevant further information. There will also be paper versions of the miniguides available so that settings can have them available for staff, parents and visitors
- a brand-new online training package, consisting of all the materials to enable EY leaders, SENCOs etc to deliver 5 one-hour, face-to-face sessions for their staff. These will be presented so that the sessions could be run as a whole day, half days, or a series of twilights.
The materials, beginning with the first set of webcasts, will begin to appear on the nasen website from the end of June, with the complete package being available by the end of this year. So keep a look out for developments, both here, in Nursery World magazine and at their shows, and on social media.
If you have any queries about any aspect of this project, please contact Alex Grady, the project lead.
23 May 2018 Gold Member Only
This webinar explores acquired brain injury and some practical suggestions for using effective practice to meet the needs of a child.
Information - 22 May 2018
Find out how one nursery setting has used our free online resources to help staff support children with special educational needs and disabilities.
Checklist - 01 May 2018 Silver AND Gold Member Only
This editable checklist will help practitioners in the Early Years to see what records they need to collect for a child about whom they have emerging concerns. There is text explaining what is needed and a one-page checklist to put in a child's file to support effective record keeping.